Shelf-Discipline: How to Read More Before Your Next Book Spree




At Goodreads, we always encourage our members to read more. But sometimes, the number of books still waiting on your Want to Read shelf can feel a little daunting…










(GIF credit: Black Books)






So we asked avid readers on Facebook and Twitter if they've ever tried a book-buying hiatus: a temporary (and we stress temporary), self-imposed ban from buying more books until they finish the current ones on their to-read list.



Needless to say, some reactions were (understandably) strong...











(GIF credit: The Mindy Project)





But overall, there was sound advice from fellow bibliophiles who have survived, thrived, and ultimately enjoyed more stories as a result. Below is a list of some the most popular tips and tricks. Let us know which ones speak to you in the comments.



Happy reading!











(GIF credit: Short Circuit)










1. "I tell myself that I need to read at least three books that I've bought and haven't read yet," says Jimmy.




2. "If I find a book interesting, I take a picture of the cover to add to my to-read list. That way, I can put the book back without truly losing it," says Samantha.




3. "I work across the street from my favorite bookstore, so I park as far away in the opposite direction as possible," says Hannah.




4. "The best way to conquer [a book-buying ban] is by revisiting a library or joining a new library. Also, keeping a record of how much you're saving by USING the library leads to a pretty good high," says Lauren.




5. "I make a list of the books I want to buy and give myself a certain timeframe. If I finish my book buying ban, I start checking them off one by one as a reward," says Josie.




6. "I have a lot of physical books (it's my preference), but I was still buying and borrowing from the library. So I took little, easy-to-peel-off stickers and put them on unread books, then I ascribed an amount: $2 for each book I read. Now I have a reward system that has me reading the books I own, but still lets me buy new books,'" says Ashley.




7. "Put all the books you own and haven't read in a stack or [on an] eye-level shelf where they glare at you every time you walk out your door. Visualize it when you're tempted to buy a book," says Kim.




8. "Can't buy anything when you have no money," says Clay.




9."Tips for sticking with it are to do the ban with a friend or two. It helps keep you accountable. Also, library, library, library," says Elena.














Have you ever tried a book-buying hiatus? Share your experience with us in the comments!



Check out more recent blogs:

The Big Books of Fall

7 Great Books Hitting Shelves Today

The Creators of 'Saga' Recommend Books for Their Fans




posted by Marie on August, 30

Source: Goodreads Blog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trump fixer Michael Cohen pleads guilty and promptly gets roasted for his crimes